Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Windows 2008 free antivirus

I noticed that the PC Tools antivirus I have installed on my home Windows 2008 server was not updating. It appears I had 6.x installed and the most current version was 8.x so...my guess is they just stopped putting out definition updates. Not a problem but after uninstalling PC Tools AV 6.x and trying to install 8.x I ran into an error that killed the installation. This brought about a rehash of the 'how do I get free AV for my test server'. Keep in mind, it is a TEST server. I am not an enterprise trying to get around paying huge fees for a product that is almost never used. Of course, I ran into page after page after page of:

1) People saying to use PC Tools but the posts were from 2008 and referred to 6.x.
2) People saying to use another product that doesn't work on Server 2008 and probably never did.
3) People ignoring the OP and mentioning using an obviously paid product (eg McAfee, Norton)
4) Parking sites.

Then, I started testing (it is a test server, after all). After trying a few products, I found that Comodo AntiVirus works on W2k8. I even ran a full system scan and found only two items - UltraVNC (which is supposed to be there) and another similar remote control application installer.

No comments:

Post a Comment