Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hardware virtualization issue with VMWare ESXi

So...after a good deal of monkeying around, I downloaded the ISO for ESXi to try it on a VM in VMWare Server 2. It was giving me problems...mainly just getting to a 'Vmkernel loaded successfully' screen and halting. I tried a few tweaks but nothing wanted to make it run. I did find a blog entry detailing how someone else made it run. It turns out I am missing one apparently important feature - support for Intel's hardware virtualization technology. I found this by loading up their utility found here.

At this rate, I have become very disenchanted with the Dell Vostro 200. The chipset apparently has an issue with memory (32 bit memory addressing) (while the BIOS can recognize 8GB which does me no good) and now the nice dual-core processor with 64 bit support (again, not much help with the chipset/memory issue) has no Intel VT support.

No comments:

Post a Comment